Ekklesia: a gathering of those summoned (Encyclopaedia Britannica)

I sat in my car outside my flat for a full hour after a “Welcome Home” dinner at my local church, prayerfully exploring what I was feeling and why. I was upset and there were tears, but I was also upset that I was upset—if that makes any sense? I shouldn’t be feeling this way after connecting with fellow believers, surely?

In my experience, insight usually comes upon reflection and after some time has passed, but that night, God helped me fast forward and answered my questions then and there.

I felt welcome and safe at the event, sure, but I didn’t feel like anyone was willing to step into my life. I had only just started socializing after the Covid-19 pandemic and I was about to put all my belongings into storage and travel for at least three months. I wanted to stay connected, but meeting with a small group or joining an in-person serving team wasn’t feasible in the short term. I also enjoyed many existing relationships with fellow believers (family and friends) and wanted to be more intentional about those relationships—especially while travelling—so the idea of starting new small group friendships was overwhelming.

“Come as you are” came through quite strongly at the dinner, but I think I was looking for “we’ll meet you where you are”. And that unmet need reopened old wounds: I studied in Pretoria for eight years and I can’t remember a bible study friend coming to support one of my hockey matches or watch a choir performance. Ever.

During his discussion with Rudolph Boshoff of SATS, Pastor Zwai Zulu pointed out how our Covid-19 lockdown highlighted this disconnectedness within the church. Despite the accessibility of online services, he’d seen how those who weren’t part of a group (or clique—his word, not mine) were isolated, even though they were meant to be part of the church. What were we missing?

Perhaps it comes down to our understanding of the word “church”. We often use the word to depict a building or a particular worship service, but of the 76 times that “church” occurs in the NAS New Testament, 74 have been translated from the Greek word “ekklesia”.

“Ekklesia” originally meant a “gathering of those summoned” or “a gathering of citizens called out from their homes [to a] public place”. (Encyclopaedia Britannica, New Testament Greek Lexicon NAS, respectively) Both of these definitions focus on the people, not a building.

“Ekklesia” is especially prominent in Acts, when the disciples first went out into the world following Jesus’s death, resurrection, and ascension:

But Saul began ravaging the church, entering house after house; and he would drag away men and women and put them in prison. (Acts 8:3 NASB)

So Peter was kept in the prison, but prayer for him was being made to God intensely by the church. (Acts 12:5 NASB)

And he was traveling through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches. (Acts 15:41 NASB)

Saul ravaged the people (the church); it was the body of believers (the church) praying for Peter; and I’m pretty sure Paul and Silas weren’t civil engineers working on the physical cornerstones of the churches in Syria and Cilicia … they strengthened the followers of Christ.

Pastor Zwai’s reminder to look at Acts 2 for a church blueprint is spot-on:

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:42–47 NIV)

A number of commentaries draw attention to four characteristics in particular (v42): teaching, fellowship, the breaking of bread, and prayer. Notice that Luke only mentions the temple courts once in this passage. He doesn’t spend time describing the house of the Lord; he focuses on how the early church lived as a community.

That night, as I sat in my car, God slowly walked me through my feelings and experience and how to use them for his good. His gentle nudge said, “Meet the need.” Perhaps my singleness and work as a freelancer left me more agile and able to step into the lives of others. Perhaps my desire for travel and recent interest in short-term missions was the next leap he was asking me to take.

A few days later, I discovered a platform that connects hosts with travellers. Through the platform, I was able to enter the homes and lives of a few host families during my travels, engaging with them around the dinner table, playing with the younger kids, tutoring the older ones, and taking one or two on an adventure. Some of the people I interacted with were believers; others were not.

Closer to home, I’ve been able to help take care of my widowered cousin’s two boys while he was away on a business trip. And I’ve written this article from the house of a friend who had a hip replacement six days ago.

This journey is still a work in progress (as am I). I certainly don’t have all the answers and the discussion with Pastor Zwai prompted thought and reflection for me, too. But the point is: While much of the focus during the Covid-19 pandemic was on online vs in-person meetings and the pros and cons of each, it’s important for us to be mindful of the true meaning of the word “ekklesia” and the four characteristics of the church in Acts.

As we engage in teaching, fellowship, the breaking of bread, and prayer, let’s make sure we’re engaging with a true community mindset, remembering that “the church” is not a building.

• To watch the full discussion between Rudolph Boshoff and Pastor Zwai Zulu, follow this link.
  • Contact SATS to find out more about studying God’s word.

Short Bio: Carrie Milton is a veterinarian and language practitioner. After completing her Bachelor of Veterinary Science and working with a variety of animals for a number of years, she reawakened her love for the written word. Accredited by the Professional Editors’ Guild, she has tried her hand at everything from theses to fiction.