It can be challenging to live out our faith in a world where anything goes. Society has become so politically correct, widely accepting, and conflict-averse that it sometimes feels like there is no longer right or wrong, and that being someone who feels strongly about what is right versus what is wrong goes against the grain. Please don’t misunderstand me: I’m not talking about loving one another, living in peace, or embracing God’s diverse, multinational vision for the church—those are beautiful things. I’m referring to the “you do you” culture.

In her SATS symposium called “Biblical Discernment 101”, Holly Pivec not only highlighted some of the problems with the New Apostolic Reformation, Mormon, and Jehovah’s Witness movements but also addressed a question of vital importance: How do I practice spiritual discernment in a world where anything goes?

She reminded us to bring it back to the basics: know God’s word and test everything against it. Even the Jews in Berea did this when Paul and Silas visited them:

Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men. (Acts 17:11–12 NIV)

So how do we grow in our biblical discernment and ability to test things against scripture? There are a few things we can do to prevent ourselves from being led astray. The list below has been adapted and expanded from Pivec’s symposium:

• Know God’s word:
    • Read it daily.
    • Read the Bible itself. There are many good devotionals out there, but they should not be our only means of reading God’s word. They are often based on just one verse and sometimes use it out of context.
    • Read the whole Bible—from Genesis to Revelation—more than once to maintain a bigger-picture perspective.
  • Read responsibly:
    • Read in context.
    • Be mindful of historical, literary, and grammatical significance.
    • Consider any differences between translations.
  • Read in community with other believers.
  • Pray for wisdom daily.
  • Test everything against God’s word and the example Jesus set during his time here on earth.
  • Learn about church history and compare new movements with it. Is the teaching or practice being presented to you completely new and/or inconsistent with what we’ve believed and done since Jesus died on the cross? If so, then that should raise red flags.
  • Consider the spectrum of theological error:
    • Minor things like choosing which songs we do or don’t sing during our praise and worship.
    • Downright heresy like denying the trinity or Jesus’s resurrection.
    • Aberrant beliefs, which are somewhere in between and are, therefore, harder to spot.
  • Be aware of the tactics of false teachers. These include:
    • Equivocation, where a broadly accepted term is given a new meaning.
    • Name-calling and fear-mongering, e.g. where those who question are said to be under the influence of evil spirits.
    • Denial, especially in choosing names that don’t make it clear that their teachings fall outside of mainstream Christianity.

I’ve certainly felt challenged to increase my knowledge of God’s word—Perhaps it’s time to start from Genesis again?—but I think this reminder is especially pertinent in the anything-goes culture we’re currently faced with.

I don’t recall Jesus ever teaching us to believe what we want to believe. I don’t recall him encouraging his disciples to live in a siloed, “you do you” manner—quite the contrary, in fact. He said:

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 NIV)

He modeled loving, engaging with, and listening to one another—yes—but he also said:

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6 NIV)

Let’s make sure we are familiar with the truth and keep our eyes focused on the author and perfector of our faith, Jesus Christ.

• To watch Holly Pivec’s full symposium, follow this link.
  • Contact SATS to find out more about studying God’s word.
  • A related article about reading God’s word responsibly is available here.

Short Bio: Carrie Milton is a veterinarian and language practitioner. After completing her Bachelor of Veterinary Science and working with a variety of animals for a number of years, she reawakened her love for the written word. Accredited by the Professional Editors’ Guild, she has tried her hand at everything from theses to fiction.